When we talk about fertility, it is important to understand that both, the quality of the eggs as well as that of the sperm, play a major role in determining your chances of conception. The health of sperm is determined by various criteria, which include sperm motility. This is defined as the ability of sperm to move towards the egg, effortlessly. Fertility experts in Noida suggest that sperm motility is as important as sperm count when it comes to conception. After all, if the sperm is not able to reach the egg, pregnancy is impossible.
Experts from the best fertility treatment center in Noida define healthy sperm motility as the forward progression of sperm at a speed of 25 micrometres per second or more. If a person’s sperm motility is any less than this, he is said to have asthenospermia or asthenozoospermia. The condition is marked by the significantly slower progression of the sperm, which eventually results in no mobility.
What causes low sperm motility?
There is a wide range of factors that may be responsible for low sperm motility and these vary from one person to another. While some men may experience the problems due to a genetic issue, others might face them due to an underlying medical condition that tasted undiagnosed.
Apart from these two, environmental factors also play a significant role in determining your sperm motility.
IVF treatment specialists in Noida suggest that excessive smoking, i.e. more than 10 cigarettes in a day, can have a drastic impact on sperm motility as well. The same holds for people who are exposed to various toxins on a daily basis, be it due to pollution or their work. Pelvic injury or trauma sustained in an accident, too, can decrease your sperm motility.
How is the problem diagnosed?
Sperm motility problems can be easily diagnosed by conducting routine Semen analysis. You will be asked to collect a semen sample, which will then be thoroughly analysed in a laboratory. If only 40 percent of the sperm in the sample are motile, it is a sign of low sperm motility.
Is there any treatment for the condition?
Sperm motility can be easily managed with healthy lifestyle changes, however, if you take the problem for granted, for too long, you might need proper medical treatment and supplements for the same. So it is always a better option to look out for the symptoms and get yourself evaluated immediately. You can naturally boost sperm motility in the following ways:
- Refrain from smoking or using tobacco in any form as the smoke emitted from these contains thousands of chemicals that can drastically impact sperm motility.
- Cut down on your alcohol consumption as heavy drinking can negatively impact the shape, size, count as well as motility of the sperm
- Keep your weight under check as unhealthy body weight can lead to hormonal imbalance, which can disrupt normal sperm motility.
- Limit the hours you spend on the mobile phone as recent research suggests that radiofrequency and radiation emitted by cell phones can have a negative impact on sperm quality and its motility.
- Avoid wearing tight undergarments as surgeon research has suggested that men who wear tight undergarments are likely to have lower sperm motility as compared to those who wear loose fitted ones.