The uterus, or the womb, is a hollow muscular organ found in the body of a female, where the baby grows for 9 months. The uterus is normally as small as a fist, however, during the course of pregnancy, it continues to expand and reaches the size of a watermelon. This flexibility of the uterus makes it perfect for holding the growing baby. However, being pregnant is not the only reason why your uterus is increasing in size and experts from the leading IVF center in Indirapuram suggest that this may also be due to fibroids
Wondering what fibroids are? Here’s what you need to know
Fibroids are tiny, non-malignant growths that develop in the uterus. These are somewhat similar to a tumour and keep on growing in size. Although the growth rate may vary from one person to another, these may become as large as a full-term baby. As such, your belly continues to expand, just like it would if you were pregnant. But it is not only the physical changes that you should worry about as the experts from the top Best IVF clinic in Ghaziabad, suggest that uterine fibroids can lead to problems with mobility, fertility and affect your overall health.
It is pertinent to note that the problem mostly affects women above the age of 30 and the fluctuating oestrogen levels may be a contributing factor. Increased oestrogen levels promote fibroid growth, but this requires a healthy blood supply as well. As more blood is being directed towards your uterus, fibroid growth is being promoted. These eventually push out the uterine walls and cause your uterus to expand.
How fibroids impact your fertility?
If you think that fibroids only impact the size of your womb, you might want to reconsider that thought after reading this. These are very common, affecting around 24 per cent of the women in their reproductive age, in India alone. Most of these are quite small and away from the uterine cavity. Such fibroids are not harmful and should be ignored. However, infertility treatment specialists in Indirapuram suggest that enlarged uterus fibroids can drastically impact fertility by making it difficult for you to conceive. As the fibroids occupy most of the space in your womb, there is hardly any space left for the baby. When the uterus is already stretched to occupy the fibroid masses, it naturally hinders the implantation of the embryo, making it difficult to conceive.
It is pertinent to understand that pregnancy, in such cases, is challenging but not impossible. With treatment options like myomectomy, hysterectomy and uterine fibroid embolization, which are offered at all the leading IVF clinics in Indirapuram, it is possible to achieve a normal pregnancy.
As you are now familiar with what fibroids are, let us now discuss the various symptoms that are associated with them to understand when you need to seek medical intervention.
Before starting there is something that you need to know. The symptoms of an enlarged uterus can vary from one person to another and one may not necessarily experience all of the symptoms. Hence it is always a better idea to consult a specialist and get your symptoms evaluated. These include:
- Complication in pregnancy marked by problems like premature labour, miscarriage or inability to conceive.
- Pain in the lower abdomen and surrounding areas
- Bloating caused by the pressing of the enlarged uterus against the bowels, leading to excess gas.
- Unexplained and unintentional weight gain owing to hormonal changes in the body. This is usually evident around the waist
- Constipation caused by increased pressure on the bowels. On contrary to this, some women might also experience diarrhoea instead
- Frequent headaches and migraines
- Pain in other parts of the body apart from the abdomen. These include the pelvic area, back and legs
- Experiencing pain during intercourse
- Menstrual abnormalities marked by heavy bleeding, irregular cycles, spotting and clotting.
- Anaemia and fatigue caused by excessive bleeding during menstruation
- Frequent urination caused by increased pressure on the bladder
If you are experiencing any of these problems, it is high time you consult an expert. Delaying the treatment is only going to worsen the symptoms and give rise to more and more problems. You can consult the experts from Zeeva IVF for unparalleled care and assistance today.