Egg retrieval is a minimal invasive surgery in which eggs are removed from an ovary. Afterwards eggs are fertilized with the sperm in the laboratory to produce embryos for transferring into the mother’s womb. This procedure usually takes 15 -20 minutes and it is a painless procedure as its usually conducted under light anaesthesia or sedation. Egg retrieval is an important milestone in the journey to the invention of IVF procedure. Therefore, it is necessary to take certain precautions before and after egg retrieval to continue the successful journey of IVF procedure.
The list of do’s and don’ts before and after egg retrieval are as follows
• Go empty stomach for egg retrieval process to decrease the chances of nausea and vomiting.
• Be completely fasting for at least 8 hours prior to the procedure, ie, not even water to be taken orally.
• Stop taking medication for any other illness 24 hours prior tothe procedure. Take thyroid and any other medicine prescribed by the anaesthetist on the day or surgery with a sip of water only.
• Eat small quantities of food at small intervals after the procedure. Avoid any heavy or oily foods on the day of surgery.
• Drink liquids to avoid feeling of nausea and vomit.
• Take light bed rest for 24 hours after the procedure.
• Take bath after 24 hours of the procedure. • In case of heavy vaginal bleeding 2 to3 hours after the procedure, contact IVF specialist immediately.
• Take only prescribed medication to avoid any complication.
• Do not wear any makeup especially nail polish or jewellery before going into the OT.
• Take all oral and vaginal medications as prescribed starting on the day of egg retrieval.
• For the day of embryo transfer, no need to be empty stomach unless ET is scheduled under anaesthesia.
• Don’t eat or drink after midnight before the day of egg retrieval.
• Don’t drive any vehicle immediately after egg retrieval procedure.
• Avoid swimming, sauna, hot water bath tubs, Jacuzzis etc.
• Don’t exercise or do yoga after the procedure. Instead one may go for walk.
• Don’t use tampons immediately after procedure.
• Ovarian size increases during egg retrieval procedure. Hence, do not have intercourse up to next10 days.
• Avoid strenuous task for a week.